Want to make the most out of your home solar? Don’t have solar? That works too! We can help you conserve your energy to lower your current electricity bill. Things like air leaks, inefficient appliances, and even your daily habits can have a major effect on the amount of energy we waste every day. If you’re interested in how to do simple things in order to save money while wasting less of this precious resource, read on to learn more!
First, we’ll have to understand the difference between energy efficiency and energy conservation. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (the EIA), energy efficiency is using technology that requires less energy to perform the same function. Using a light-emitting diode (LED) light bulb or a compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulb that requires less energy than an incandescent light bulb to produce the same amount of light is an example of energy efficiency. This allows you to live with the same convenient and comfortable lifestyle so that there is no need to compromise! The EIA also states that energy conservation is any behavior that results in the use of less energy. Turning the lights off when leaving the room and recycling aluminum cans are both ways of conserving energy. While these may also be things you do in your day to day life, there are other ways you can conserve your energy usage.
Simple Energy Efficiency Tips
- Switch traditional CFL light bulbs to LED light bulbs. CFL lightbulbs may be more expensive, but they use 70-90% less energy and they will last much longer.
- Seal any cracks or air leaks of any kind in your home by using a caulk.
- Change windows to double or even triple paned windows.
- Install timers on outdoor lights to ensure they are not left on throughout the night.
- Install a programmable thermostat so you don’t have to worry about adjusting the temperature before you leave and whenever you get home.
- Insulate water heater and water pipes. This allows for less heat to be lost to ensure that there is less energy wasted.
- Insulate your attic with some foam. 30% of your heating and cooling energy needs can be attributed to having a poorly insulated attic according to the Department of Energy.
Simple Energy Conservation Tips
- Turn off the lights that you aren’t using at any particular time.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Clean air filters in your home because dirty filters will cause your system to work harder and run longer.
- Use the microwave instead of the stove when cooking.
- Defrost your freezer so the ice doesn’t build up. It could result in it running less efficiently.
- In the summertime, be sure to close windows, curtains, and blinds in order to keep the house cooler.
- Try not to check the oven while you’re baking, it can release heat which makes your oven work harder to get back up to the preheated temperature!
- Try to use natural light as much as possible. If you don’t need to turn on the lights, there is more energy to be saved.
- In the winter, set the thermostat to a lower temperature and in the summer, set it to a higher temperature. Each degree saved will conserve 6-8% of energy usage.
- Turning on the ceiling fan can cool you by about 4 degrees while using less energy than the air conditioner.
- By keeping your refrigerator and freezer full, it can actually operate more efficiently.
- Try not to use appliances during peak hours, this will save you more money on your electricity bill.
- Turn off the heated dry setting on your dishwasher and try to air dry or towel dry your dishes.
- Leaving the ventilation fans on in the bathroom and kitchen allow for outside air to come in. Try not to leave them running longer than necessary.
- Unplug your cell phone overnight. It doesn’t need to charge all night long.
A lot of these tasks are very simple and they can account for quite a lot of energy conserved even on your very next utility bill, but one of the best ways to change the way you use energy without compromise is by switching to solar! Fill out our form here and one of our representatives will reach out to you shortly to discuss your solar options!